Welcome to the library! Here is our orientation itinerary:
- Together, look at a presentation about what happens in the library and how you can use it.
- In small groups, do a scavenger hunt to find important sections in the library.
Welcome, Ms Gooding’s English class. Please fill out
It occurs to me that the reference I make in the title of this post is to a song that came out more than a decade before this year’s Grade Nine class was born. Perhaps it’s time for this librarian to get a fresh playlist? Anyway, dated musical references aside, here are some fun things we learned about this year’s Grade 9s in the orientation survey:
- Favourite books? Harry Potter tops the list, followed closely by Hunger Games and books by John Green
- Favourite kinds of books to read? Fantasy, sci-fi, young adult and biography
- Favourite movie? This year’s remake of It is the first choice for many, but otherwise your diverse movie choices range from Moana to Strange Brew to The Life of Pi
- Favourite sport? Basketball and soccer vie for the lead, with swimming coming in third
When asked about library use, many students said they plan to come here to study and research. Fewer plan to use the library for reading, but still about 50%. Considering that almost 80 percent of you read for fun more than one hour per week, let’s see if we can get book signouts up this year!
Thank you all for filling out the survey!
Welcome to the Monarch Park library website. Complete your Virtual Scavenger Hunt to learn more.